|Remnants of Old Monuments|
|Temperanceville United Church|
Temperanceville Church Cemetery is located on the N/E corner of Bathurst Street and King Street in the Town of Richmond Hill. It is hidden in an inconspicuous corner of the property surrounded by a wooden fence. There are a few relics of old monuments outside of the fenced area, but the remaining head stones have been placed flat with in the confines of the fenced location.
The land was originally a crown deed granted to Charles Shellock in 1803. Shellock sold the land to James Love in 1804 who in turn sold one acre to the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1835. The cemetery was established in 1834 and the first burial was for that of an infant named Mary Love, 8 months, 5 days old.
The original log church was known as Love's Meeting House or Love's Appointment until 1877. A second larger building was erected in 1854 and the building shown above is the third church on the property built in 1897. It states on the front of the building that there has been 200 years of continuous service. This church is now part of the United Church of Canada and still holds services.