Sunday, April 24, 2011

Schomberg Union Cemetery, Schomberg King Twp.

Chapel at Schomberg Union Cemetery

Quaker Pioneer Graves

Quaker Pioneer Graves

Grave of John Nicholas Kline

Gate Dedicated to the Society of Friends 1932 

Schomberg Union Cemetery, originally Friends Quaker Cemetery is located on the west side of Hwy 27 north of Lloydtown- Aurora Rd in Schomberg Village, King Twp.  The cemetery was established in 1833 by the Society of Friends (Quakers).  The chapel on the property was typical of the simple austere building used by the Quakers, referred to as a meeting house. The Quaker pioneer graves are located at the center of the  property, they are small white simple markers arranged in neat rows. The cemetery today is non-denominational and is managed by the Schomberg Cemetery Board.

Notable burial is that of John Nicholas Kline, d.1854 at 29 years of age.  The village of Kleinburg is named for him.  His house still stands at the N/E corner of Islington Ave and Nashville Rd in Kleinburg, City of Vaughan.


No comments:

Post a Comment