|Secessionist Presbyterian Cemetery|
The above cemetery is simply known as the Secessionist Presbyterian Cemetery, Temperanceville. It was established in 1854 on land owned by the Folliot Family and is located kitty corner to the Temperanceville United Church which is in Richmond Hill.
The earliest marker is for Henry Stewart who died at 69 years of age on September 19th, 1854 followed by Sarah Stewart, age 30 wife of John Stewart. The majority of headstones are for Henry and Agnes (Scott) Stewart's descendants and in-laws. There are probably 8 headstones in this little square of land that sits right on top of a busy intersection at Bathurst St and King St.
The Secessionists separated from the Church of Scotland in the late 1700's , they were not part of the Wesleyan Methodists as was the Temperance United Church.
The Secessionist Presbyterian Church was located on the N/E corner of the farm of James Stewart who deed the land on February 28, 1853 to the trustees of the Presbyterian Church. The church was built in 1858 and served the area of Temperanceville until July 1912. Soon after closing the building became a private residence, but in 1971 it was slated to be demolished to make way for road widening. The building was saved by Dr. Michael Willinsky who had it removed plank by plank and rebuilt on his property, north of Eversley Corner in King Twp.