Sunday, April 3, 2011

St. Mary's Catholic Church & Cemetery, Nobleton

St. Mary's Catholic Church, Nobleton

The Founding of St. Mary's

St. Mary's Cemetery

Old Graves, St. Mary's Cemetery

St. Mary's Catholic Church & Cemetery was est. in 1855 on land that was donated by Patrick and Catherine Trainor to serve the growing Irish Catholic community in the Nobleton area. Many of the settlers to this area were escaping the famine of 1847 Ireland.  

The church and area today, resembles very much what is was like back then.  The drive shed on the north side of the property was originally a wooden structure, but it burnt down in 1913, during Sunday Mass. The following year the present structure was built to replace it. 

 St. Mary's has been in continuous service since 1855 and the little church still holds mass to this day.  The cemetery is still active.

No comments:

Post a Comment