Sunday, April 10, 2011

Woodbridge Pioneer Cemetery, Woodbridge

Stone Cairn Wesleyan Methodist Church and Burying Ground

Woodbridge Pioneer Cemetery, aka Wesleyan Methodist Burying Ground, Burwick Chapel, is located on the north side of Meeting House Road in the Woodbridge area of the City of Vaughan. Burwick was the original name for the village of Woodbridge.

The cemetery was established in 1834, the first church was a log structure built in 1836, the second a brick structure built in 1854.  A third church was built, but in another location in 1886 when the second church became too small. Unfortunately the church records have been lost.

Like most of the small church burial grounds their usefulness seemed to wane when the community cemeteries were established in the mid 1800's and early 1900's.  There were two established at this time, Maple Cemetery in Maple and Hillcrest in Woodbridge.

In 1972 the then Town of Vaughan gathered the remainder of headstones and placed them into a cairn which is located at the back of the grounds.  A number of burials were removed to other cemeteries in the area in the early 1900's   The site today is cared for by the City of Vaughan.

No comments:

Post a Comment