Sunday, May 8, 2011

Bronte Cemetery, (Bronte Village) Oakville


Bronte Cemetery est. 1823.






















Bronte Cemetery is probably one of the oldest cemeteries in Trafalgar Twp, it is located on the south-west extremity of Bronte Village, Oakville near Lake Ontario and the end of West Street.  The first burial to take place was that of Hannah S. Haviland, aged 4 who died in 1823.

Grave of Settler John Ribble
Notice the inverted 'N"
Old Headstones Against a Tree

Headstone of Hannah S. Haviland
1st Burial at Bronte Cemetery 1823



One of the earliest settlers to arrive in Bronte Village (or the mouth of Twelve) was Philip Sovereign and his family in 1814 from Sussex County, New York.  Their farm extended along the lake front west of the Indian Reserve on old Lake Road.  Philip died on July 2, 1833 and is buried in this cemetery along with his son Charles who farmed the land until his death in 1855.  Their graves are located on the west side of the property, neither of their headstones are standing, both are lying flat and are slowly sinking into the ground. 

Another early settler was John Belyea who was a United Empire Loyalist of Dutch or Palatine German decent from Philipsburg, Westchester County, New York.  John Belyea died on April 14, 1825 and he is buried in Bronte Cemetery along with his young son Benjamin.  Their graves to can be found at the north end of the cemetery.  

The last burial took place in 2009 in a family plot which over looks beautiful Lake Ontario. Today the cemetery is in the care of the City of Oakville.








No comments:

Post a Comment