Monday, June 27, 2011

Cashel Cemetery, Markham




Grave of one of the early
Scots settlers 

Grave of James Hunter. Age 5
d. 1839 first burial in Cashel Cemetery

Cashel Cemetery is located on the west part of lot 26 concession 6, on the east side of Kennedy Road just north of Elgin Mills Road E, in the Town of Markham. This cross roads hamlet was originally called Crosby's Corners, but it became simply known as Cashel.  The area was settled in the early 1800's by Scots settlers.

The land for the cemetery and church building was donated by James Rose to James Fenwick and trustees of the Presbyterian Church in 1827.  The church was named St. Helen's and was the earliest Presbyterian Church in Markham.  It operated from 1827 until 1865 when it was closed and sold, then later removed leaving the cemetery to mark the site.

Burials declined in the cemetery in the late 1870's, there are a few for the early 1900's.  The earliest burial was for 5 year old James Hunter who died in 1839.

The cemetery is officially closed and is now maintained by the Town of Markham.

Melville Church Cemetery, Markham

Gates to Melville Church Cemetery

Church est in 1849. Now the North Toronto
Chinese Baptist Church.



Earliest Marker in Cemetery
Robert Gormley d. 1854.

Melville Church Cemetery is located on the west side of Kennedy Road between Elgin Mills Road E and 19th Avenue in the Town of Markham.  The Church to north of the cemetery was established in 1849 and was originally the Free Church Presbyterian. It became United Church of Canada in 1925 and since the last transcription of the cemetery in the late 1990's the Church has become the North Toronto Chinese Baptist Church and is no longer part of the cemetery property.  The fence surrounding the cemetery does not include the church property and there is no longer any access from the church property.

The land for both the cemetery and church was donated by George Mustard in 1848.  The earliest burial is for Robert Gormley in 1854.  The gates and fence surrounding the cemetery are a recent addition and a plaque on the north gate post states. " In Remembrance est 1849", and on the south gate post "Melville Cemetery."  The cemetery still received burials and is managed by Cemetery Board.


Lloydtown Anglican Cemetery, Lloydtown, King Twp



Grave of one of the
children of  Peter Shanks

Grave of Dr. Mahaffy the
first Medical Practitioner in the area

Cairn made from the stone foundation
of the church which stood on this site

Dedication Plaque
Lloydtown Anglican Cemetery is located on the south side of Church Street, on the east part of lot 31, concession 9, in Lloydtown, King Twp.  The area was named for Jesse Lloyd a Quaker settler who arrived in the area in the early 1800's.

The land for the first church and cemetery was donated by T.W. Tyson in 1842.  The first church was in service until 1925 when a new church was built in Schomberg.  The original church was demolished in 1931 and a cairn constructed from the old foundation stones was placed on the site were the church once stood in 1941 by Richard Oldfield and Edward Merchant.

When T.W. Tyson gave the land for the cemetery the trust set forth in the deed was as follows: "Upon Trust to hold forever, hereafter, for the use of a certain church of the United Church of England and Ireland, which has been erected upon said parcel of land, and for a burial ground in connection therewith." In 1885 an additional 1/2 acre was purchased from Mr Peter Shanks who is buried with several members of his family in this cemetery.

In 1928 Mr. Edward Merchant opened an Endowment Fund with the Synod of the Diocese of Toronto. The income from this fund was to be used exclusively for the up keep of the cemetery, and the principal could never under any circumstances be withdrawn.  The original investment was $ 150.00, of which $ 100.00 was donated by Mr. Thomas Skelton of Hamilton.  Mr. Skelton's mother was one of the first burials in the cemetery.

The cemetery is still active and many of the decedents of the pioneer families are still buried here.



 


Saturday, June 18, 2011

Headford Church Cemetery, Richmond Hill





Heritage Plaque Headford Methodist Episcopal Church
1882.




 
Earliest Marker John Teasdale
16 years of age, 1851

Markers for Teasdale Family

George Teasdale aged 68.
Lost in Lake Michigan

Leek Family Graves


Headford Church Cemetery, aka Leek's Chapel Cemetery is located at 9550 Leslie Street on the west side, between 16th Avenue and Major Mackenzie Drive in the Town of Richmond Hill.

The present day church was built in 1882 it stands on the site where a small wooden chapel known as Leek's Chapel once stood. Prior to the building of the chapel meetings were held across the road at the farm of Pete Willis.  The church was originally Episcopal Methodist, now United Church of Canada.

The cemetery was established in 1850, on land sold to the trustees of the church by the Leek family for the sum of 5 shillings.  The earliest marker is for John Teasdale who died in 1851 at the age of 16 years.  The Leek family have a number of burials at the front of the property and their descendants are still being buried here to this day.  

The cemetery is managed by the Headford United Church Cemetery Board.

Petchville Cemetery (Wesley Corners), Aurora.

Wesley Pioneer Cemetery Gate

Known Burials up to 2004.



Markers for Jonathon & Sarah Gale Petch
Early Settlers of area  and original  land owners

Robert Lyon
First Master of  Sunrise Lodge
Aurora 1860 


Petchville Cemetery (Wesley Corners) aka Wesley Pioneer Cemetery is located at the N/W corner of Aurora Road and Woodbine Avenue in Aurora. The area was originally known as Petchville and Gooseville.

Jonathan and Sarah Gale Petch settled the land in 1818, because it was a clergy reserve they were unable to purchase it until 1840.  In 1847 Jonathan donated the land for a Wesleyan Methodist Church.  It is believed that the cemetery was originally used as the Petch family burial ground, then later used by the members of the community.

In 1932, John Petch, Jonathan's great-grandson deeded the property to the cemetery trustees. The earliest tombstone is dated 1814 for Hannah Hacking aged 3 years. Both Jonathan and Sarah along with many family members and their decedents are buried in this cemetery.

The church is still an active parish of the United Church of Canada and the cemetery still receive burials for those with family plots.

Bloomington Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Whitechurch-Stouffville.





Grave of Maxon Jones


















Bloomington Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery is located on the east side of the 9th Line south of Bloomington Road.  The church which is now a private home is located to the north of the cemetery, this property has been severanced and is no longer part of the cemetery.  

The land for the first church was originally sold to the Methodist Church by Maxon Jones in 1869 for the sum of $ 50.00.  In 1871 he sold an additional acre to the church for another $ 50.00 for the cemetery. But the  earliest burial took place in 1847 for Thomas Anderson of County Tyrone, Ireland. Maxon Jones, his wife  and several of his children are buried here at the back of the property.

The church became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925.  The last service took place on June 18th, 1939.  Miss Hannah Fairless who was the oldest living member was given the honour of being the last to leave the church and close the door. She died in 1941 and was buried along side other family members in this cemetery. Although, I was unable to locate any marker for the Fairless family. Their names do appear in the last transcription that was completed in the late 1980's.

In 1997 the cemetery was transferred to the care of the Town of Whitechurch-Stouffville.

Lemonville Church Cemetery, Whitechurch-Stouffville.






Lemonville United Church Cemetery aka Lemonville Primitive Methodist Church Cemetery, is located on the east side of McCowan Road south of Bloomington Road in the Stouffville area of Whitechurch-Stouffville.

The land for the church and cemetery was sold to the trustees in 1865 by George and Fanny Pipher, but the mission was founded in 1854.  It was originally part of the Stouffville Wesleyan Methodist Mission, but later became part of the Primitive Methodist Mission served from Victoria Square. 

In 1925 the church became part of the United Church of Canada which it still is to this today.  The cemetery still receives burials for those who have family plots and is managed by the Lemonville United Church Cemetery Board.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Hornby Presbyterian Church & Cemetery, Halton Hills.

Archive Photo of Hornby Presbyterian Church



Grave of Catherine Barr wife of  Rev.William Barr first minister of
Hornby Presbyterian Church

Rachael wife of David Brooks
Church trustee

The first church on this site was a wood framed one built in 1835.  Rev. William Barr was the first minister, of whom there is no record.  His wife Catherine died in 1857 and is buried in the cemetery and it is believed that he may have concluded is pastorate shortly after her death.  One of the early burials is that of Rachael Brooks  in 1838 she was the wife of David Brooks who was one the trustees.

The original church was replaced in 1878 with a brick one seen in the archive photo above and was built by John Hunter of Milton.  There was no organ at first, one was not installed until 1883. The congregation stood up to pray and sat down to sing.  

In January of 1976 the church building was destroyed by fire. Small foot prints were found in the snow around the church and many suspected arson was the cause.  However, no conclusion was ever reached as to the cause. (Georgetown Herald, 21 Jan 1976). 

The cemetery still receives burials for those who have family plots.

Hornby Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Halton Hills



Hornby Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery is located on the N/W corner of Steeles Avenue and Eighth Line in the hamlet of Hornby, Halton Hills. On April 30, 1832 William McKindsey sold 30 perches to the trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church who had set up a log chapel in the corner of his property.  The indenture was not registered until 1842 because William did not own the land until 1840 as it still belonged to Kings College until March 11th, of that same year.  But the above photo shows burials were taking place on this lot as early as 1834.

In 1856 a brick church was built further west near Trafalgar Road. It became Hornby United Church after 1925 and remained in service until November 17, 1968.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Melville Presbyterian/United Cemetery, Rockside


Melville White Chapel

McLaughlin Grave one of
the first settlers in area




Melville Presbyterian/United Cemetery, aka Melville White Chapel Cemetery, is located at 15962 Mississauga Road in the Belfountain area.  The area was originally called Rockside and was settled in the early 1820's by Scotch Settles mainly from Islay Scotland.  The land was purchased by church trustees for the purpose of a church site and burying ground in 1837.  That same year Dan McMillan and brothers built the wooden church on the site and painted it white.  The church then became know as Melville White Church by the locals. The church separated in 1845 from the established Presbyterian Church and joined the Free Church of Canada. In 1925 the congretation then joined the United Church of Canada.

The first burial was for William Campbell in 1833, although no headstone was laid.  The second two burials occurred in 1834 for Margaret Kirkwood and Archibald McNaughton. The church was closed in 1964 and taken over by the Credit Valley Conservation Authority. The area is now considered an heritage site by the Belfountain Heritage Society.  The cemetery still receives burials.