|Quaker Meeting House|
|Early Quaker Burials|
Marker of Sarah Webster Hughes
who died in 1815 but was refuse burial in these grounds
In 1973 her grave and the graves of two of her children were
found and relocated to this cemetery
This burying ground and meeting house is located on the west side of Yonge Street, just south of Eagle Street in the Town of Newmarket. In 1807 Asa Rogers deeded two acres of land for a burial ground for the Society of Friends (Quakers), who had started to settle in this area around 1801. In 1810 William Doan donated another two acres for the site of the meeting house. The meeting house is still on this land and is still used by the Society of Friends as a place of worship and the cemetery still receives burials. The area is a designated heritage site, and is maintained by the Society of Friends.