Thursday, December 22, 2011

Friends (Hicksite) Burying Ground, Newmarket

Located on the west side of Yonge Street, 300 meters south of Mulock Drive.  Quakers settled in the Newmarket area around 1807.  In 1828 the Hicksite Friends, followers of Elias Hicks, separated from the original society. In 1839 the Hicksites built their meeting house and established the burial ground. The meeting house stood on this site until 1942 and the last burial in this cemetery was in 1919.

The early Quakers did not permit headstones and buried in order of death. Which is why the east side of the  burial ground where the first burials are located are not marked.  Later, when headstones where permitted these were usually just fieldstone, Unfortunately, during a restoration a number of fieldstone markers were removed to the western edge of the cemetery, thus destroying many family relationships and the order of burial.

The cemetery was restored by the Town of Newmarket in 1989; it is closed to burials and is maintained today by the Town of Newmarket and is a designated heritage site.

Sunday, December 4, 2011

St. Peter's Anglican Church & Cemetery, Erindale

Church & Grounds

A Family lineage from 1740 for
The Hall Family

St. Peter's Anglican Church and Cemetery is located at 1745 Dundas Street West, Mississauga on the north east corner of Dundas Street and Mississauga Road.  The site over looks the Credit River to the east and sound of the rapids despite this busy intersection makes the area very serene.  This tract of land on the Credit River was part of the Mississauga Indian Reserve.

The property was purchased from the Crown in 1828 for the sum of 10 shillings  by a group of trustees that included Colonel Peter Adamson, who is buried here, and who donated the land for the site of St. Paul's Anglican Church and Cemetery in  Norval in the 1840's. 

The Grave of Canadian Musician
Oscar Peterson

The Grave of The Honorable
General Peter Adamson 

The cemetery which is still in use, and managed by the St. Peter's Cemetery Board, commemorates army officers, pensioners and the sons and daughters of United Empire Loyalists.  The earliest marker is for John Smith who died in 1829.  The first recorded burial however is for an unmarked grave. St. Peter's Anglican burial register show two burials that took place in September of 1828 just after the property was purchased by the trustees.  

One of the more famous burials in this cemetery is that of renowned Canadian musician, Oscar Peterson, who died in 2007.